Friday, January 16, 2015

My ten favorite films of the the year

1.  Whiplash -  Yes, some teachers really are that crazy.  I've been there.  I haven't found myself in a situation close to the one Miles Teller's Andrew finds himself in with jazz professor Fletcher, but I've witnessed some crazy things being an arts student.  "Whiplash" was a film that as my friend and I walked out of the theatre, I knew I had really enjoyed.  We both talked about our connection to the film in terms of our own experiences with teachers who had been overly aggressive in their tactics or had been out of line in their teaching methods.  Immediately, the film started a discussion.  I just didn't know how much I loved it and that it would stay with me for months to come.  Miles Teller and J.K. Simmons turn in performances for the ages.  I had to remember to breathe when the credits rolled.

2.  Pride - A beautifully made British indie about a group of lesbian and gay activists who work with the miners during the strike of 1984.  The relationship between the two groups is dynamic and every performance in the film feels so lived-in.  With one of the best ensembles I've seen on screen, "Pride" will be a film I revisit in the years to come.  All of the characters feel so complex and human that I often felt as if I was just watching from a nearby doorway as they strategized and planned their next move as a group.  I highly recommend you seek out this small gem of a film.

3.  Nightcrawler - 2014 was a year that I thought a lot about the role of media.  "Nightcrawler" didn't do anything to change that.  Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, and Riz Ahmed do haunting work with a great script by Dan Gilroy.  The film made me think about the abuse of power, the shocking way in which people in the news business look to profit from tragedy, and the unfortunate tactics they use to rise above their competition.

4.  The Imitation Game - I find the time of Alan Turing and the breaking of the Enigma codes incredibly fascinating.  This film was right in my wheelhouse and Benedict Cumberbatch's performance captures the complexity of Turing living in a time when his personality was not understood and he was unable to be open about his sexuality.  Keira Knightley brings a wonderful sense of compassion as Turing's co-worker and friend Joan Clarke.  If only those who brought him down and drove him to his end could have seen the genius he was during his life, and how much he would add to the world's technological growth.  The production design, script, score, costumes, direction and performances are all top-notch.

5.  Wild - I actually read the "Wild" novel before my viewing and was anxious to see how the memory time jumps would be captured on film.  Although a couple of Cheryl Strayed's relationships to people on the trail were sacrificed, I think director Jean-Marc Vallée did great justice to her story.  Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern's mother-daughter relationship is complicated and beautiful.  "Wild" makes us think about our own life journey and how we choose to process the often painful events that can sometimes lead to true personal growth.

6.  Selma - "Selma" managed to put me through every emotion in the book.  Ava DuVernay composes a film with many powerful moments brought to life by a towering performance by David Oyelowo and his fellow cast members, who perform even the smallest of roles to heartrending effect.  The current relevance of the film made me sad and angry, but hopeful in change that change.  She hasn't been singled out much this year, but Carmen Ejojo's work is lovely.  She may not get the one big dramatic scene, but her moments with her husband are drenched in a deep, personal history.  "Selma" is a difficult watch, but an important one.  

7.  Gone Girl - I love David Fincher's work.  Rosamund Pike's Amy is unforgettable and she skillfully handles Amy's persona and the sociopathic ways she proceeds in her fractured marriage.  The performances from the whole cast hit their mark in just exactly the right way, with the environment constantly changing as the case unfurls.  Although there is much debate, I think "Gone Girl" touches on the side of humanity that shouldn't always be shied away from.  A sense of comfort in this type of film and its characters is perhaps not the goal.  I found myself walking around for days after wondering - do we ever really know anyone?  Creepy, yes.

8.  Boyhood - Richard Linklater once again proves that he has an uncanny ability to show what it means to be human, in particular the way that we grapple with love or family relationships.  My own childhood was nothing like young Mason's, yet I still was able to relate to the questions he asked and the feelings he went through.  "Boyhood" reminds us to appreciate life's seminal moments and the preciousness of time.

9.  The LEGO Movie - I'm a lifelong Disney kid and the Warner Bros. animated film is one of my favorites of the year?  Correct.  The incredible imagination that went into the making of this film and the great laughs it provided me on a cold day were welcome and unexpected.  The joy of different LEGO worlds meeting and Chris Pratt's voice performance as Emmet Brickowski resulted in a truly delightful viewing experience.

10.  X-Men: Days of Future Past - My last slot goes to my true inner nerd.  This almost went to "Guardians of the Galaxy", which I really enjoyed, but I found the newest "X-Men" installment to be a total blast.  If you looked at me during the big Quicksilver scene, you would have seen a goofy smile plastered across my face.  "X-Men" reminds me of watching the cartoon on Saturday mornings in my pajamas, and the last two films have captured that same sense of excitement for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment