Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Oscars come and go and my most anticipated films of 2013

I got a kick out of the Oscars this year.  I felt the show moved along well, and as a musical theatre major, I thoroughly enjoyed the focus on music, although I would have loved to see more movie musicals represented.  I was happy with the winners and the films so I'll be one of the few who refuse to join the negative brigade.  I was thrilled to see Jennifer Lawrence win.  I think she is a shining star who has a wonderful career ahead of her.  It was also a joy to see Anne Hathaway win an Oscar for an incredible performance.  I am delighted that her "dream came true". 

I'm not sure what form my blog thoughts will take in the next year as I focus on some other life changes.  I know that seeing film inspires me and has always brought me great satisfaction.  I hope those who read along here can see that love shine through.   

Below I have posted my most anticipated films of 2013 as well as the the full list of Oscar winners this year.  'August: Osage County' is my favorite play, so to say my expectations may be slightly high would be an understatement.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Aussie women Kidman and Watts' performances as Princess Diana and Grace Kelly.  I'm always looking forward to a new Kate Winslet role and what will be the year of Benedict Cumberbatch.  I'm beginning 'Parade's End' on HBO tonight and will see him in the 'Fifth Estate', the second Hobbit film, 'August: Osage County', 'Star Trek', and 'Twelve Years a Slave' all this year.  Another Scorsese film with 'The Wolf of Wall Street' should be one to look out for, in addition to 'Inside Llewyn Davis' from the Cohen brothers.  'Saving Mr. Banks' should also bring out the nostalgia for me, as I was raised watching Mary Poppins as a child.  I can't wait for what looks to be another exciting year in film.   

August: Osage County
The Butler
Dallas Buyers' Club
Devil's Knot
Diana
Elysium
Ender's Game 
The Fifth Estate
Grace of Monaco
Gravity
The Great Gatsby
Inside Llewyn Davis
Labor Day 
Man of Steel
Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom
Monuments Men
Out of the Furnace
The Place Beyond the Pines
Saving Mr. Banks
Serena
Star Trek - Into Darkness
Stoker
Trance
Twelve Years a Slave
The Wolf of Wall Street


85th Academy Awards

Best Picture
"Argo"
Best Director
Ang Lee, "Life of Pi"
Best Actor
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Lincoln"
Best Actress
Jennifer Lawrence, "Silver Linings Playbook
Best Supporting Actor
Christoph Waltz, "Django Unchained"
Best Supporting Actress
Anne Hathaway, "Les Misérables"
Best Adapted Screenplay
"Argo"
Best Original Screenplay
"Django Unchained"
Best Cinematography
"Life of Pi"
Best Costume Design
"Anna Karenina"
Best Film Editing
"Argo"
Best Makeup and Hairstyling
"Les Misérables"
Best Music - Original Score
"Life of Pi"
Best Music - Original Song
"Skyfall" from "Skyfall"
Best Production Design
"Lincoln"
Best Sound Editing
(tie) "Skyfall" and "Zero Dark Thirty"
Best Sound Mixing
"Les Misérables"
Best Visual Effects
"Life of Pi"
Best Animated Feature Film
"Brave"
Best Foreign Language Film
"Amour"
Best Documentary Feature
"Searching for Sugar Man"
Best Documentary - Short Subject
"Inocente"
Best Short Film - Animated
"Paperman"
Best Short Film - Live Action
"Curfew"

No comments:

Post a Comment